Heart Chakra (Anahata)
(all you need to know)
|Heart Chakra Location||chest area, under the breastbone.|
|Heart Chakra Function||love|
|Heart Chakra Mantra||Yam|
|Heart Chakra Color||Green and pink|
|Heart Chakra Element||Air|
|Heart Chakra Sense||Touch|
|Heart Chakra Ruling planet||Venus, Sun|
|Heart Chakra Tarot cards||The Lovers, Justice, Strength and Temperance|
|Heart Chakra Archangels||Raphael, Chamuel, Ariel and Anael|
|Heart Chakra Crystals||Rose quartz, watermelon tourmaline, pink tourmaline, jade, malachite, green aventurine, all green stones|
|Heart Chakra Incense/Essential oil||Rose, eucalyptus, peppermint, rosewood, melissa, Jasmine, Lavender|
|Heart Chakra Animal||antelope|
|Heart Chakra Note||“F”|
|Heart Chakra Symbol||12 petals with two inverted triangles in the center forming a 6-pointed star|
|Aromatic Herbs||Yarrow, meadowsweet, iris root|
|Foods associated with Heart Chakra||Green vegetables (zucchini, spinach, black cabbage, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, green beans, peas, asparagus, etc.), |
Green Fruits (kiwi, green grapes, cucumbers, avocado and lime),
superfoods such as spirulina, chlorella, moringa, matcha powder etc;
Aromatic herbs such as coriander, mint, oregano, parsley, rosemary, sage and basil.
|Organs and body parts related to Heart Chakra||Circulatory system (heart), Respiratory system (lungs), arms and hands|
|Endocrine Glands related to Heart Chakra||Thymus|
Heart Chakra or Anahata is the central chakra on our journey up through the seven main energy centers of the human body.
The main developmental age for this energy center is 21-28 and the corresponding sacrament is marriage.
It has a fundamental function of connecting the lower and upper chakras and its good balance affects your affective capacity.
It is no coincidence that it is called the heart chakra , precisely because it strongly affects the ability to love.
At the heart chakra level is where we begin to be able to express compassion and empathy with others. It is here where we are made aware of our choices and if we master the lessons of this chakra, we are able to make choices where our hearts and minds are perfectly aligned.
Harmonising opposing energies and conflicting influences is very much part of the challenges we are required to meet here.
What is Heart Chakra or Anahata?
The meaning of his Sanskrit name is literally ” not impressed “.
Indicates the sound produced by two elements that do not collide with each other. It refers to the meeting between the cardiac and pulmonary plexuses, the very area where it is located.
He is depicted with a green lotus made up of twelve petals. On each petal there is a consonant in Sanskrit.
The Anahata , being in such a central position, also represents the air that unites the ground with the sky. And that’s what the fourth chakra does , it connects the ground with the spirit , the lower chakras with the upper ones.
The heart chakra is associated with unconditional love , compassion and joy. It is the source of the deepest and most subtle truths that cannot be expressed in words . It is the bridge that integrates the manifest and the unmanifest.
The heart chakra is connected with the ability to love oneself , to give and receive with the same effort. It allows us to feel compassion and kindness and loving for ourselves, as well as for others. It makes us think as “we” rather than as “I” . It leads us to feel the heart as our inner compass.
Thanks to the fourth chakra, you can share and give without expecting anything in return . You live in a perception of constant abundance , but you are also able to set healthy limits. You feel a sense of harmony with yourself and with the world around you.
If we think of the physical body, we can associate the fourth chakra with organs such as the heart and lungs , arms and hands (in fact the arms depart more or less from there and through the hands love flows in caresses, hugs and, for example, in reiki ). Furthermore, there is also a correspondence with the all-important thymus gland .
Imbalanced of blocked Fourth Chakra (heart Chakra)
If due to some type of stress , which can be physical, mental, emotional or energetic, the energy of the chakras can slow down, stagnate, or even freeze (or may even become hyperactive).
An imbalance in the heart chakra can be recognized by feelings such as loneliness and separation , or a sense of disconnection and non-belonging.
If you grew up in an unloving environment, or have been in a negative relationship for a while, you may have developed a feeling that you are not worthy of love . This could manifest itself as a cold way of posturing . Or, on the contrary, you could try at all costs to please everyone , always and in any case, in search of approval.
Another sign of this chakra imbalance is resentment . When you feel really hurt by someone, you get hit in the heart, and you may just feel physical pain in this area. If you cannot let go and forgive , it remains in your heart like a boulder and the heart becomes perpetually heavy. Sometimes, we try to let go of the mind, but the deeper emotions remain and the chakra freezes.
Why is Heart Chakra or Anahata important?
The fourth chakra is closely related to the lungs and breathing.
If it is closed , therefore badly balanced, you may have “problems” that mainly concern your affective sphere.
These annoyances result in an inability to love yourself and even those around you. You may be colder and more suspicious, ending up not trusting anyone anymore.
The imbalance also occurs when this chakra is too open . Your attention will be directed only and exclusively to those around you, forgetting about yourself. In the case of a relationship, this type of attitude will lead you to want to receive as much from the other person as possible, but forget to give your share.
On the other hand, if the Anahata is open in the right way and well balanced , you will be able to love yourself and to love. You will show generosity towards others, you will open your heart to them, but without forgetting yourself or becoming dependent on other people.
- Harmony, ability to give and receive love,
- lack of judgement,
- willingness to listen,
- allowing for independence when partnered up,
- Feeling unworthy of love,
- ‘loving too much’ and having unrealistic expectations of the returns,
- cold-hearted, abusive,
- making bad choices in love
How to Recognize Imbalances in Heart Chakra or Anahata
If you would like to recognize if the heart chakra (fourth Chakra) is imbalanced, here are some ideas:
- Can you really give and receive with equal ease and grace?
- Do you feel a sense of infinity in the center of the heart?
- Do you feel a sense of gratitude ?
- Can you feel a deeper connection between all living things and the earth?
- Are you able to express your limits in a loving way?
- Are you in touch with your inner child?
- Can you recognize the other person as connected to you ? To feel kindness and compassion even if you disagree?
- Can you forgive yourself and others?
You may have some imbalance in this chakra if:
- You suffer from jealousy
- You can’t forgive others
- You try to use love as a power , ending up in abusive relationships (those who abuse others do so because their lower chakras cannot generate love from their “tribe” (muladhara), from friends (swadhistana) and from their own Self ( manipura).
The physical symptoms of blocked Anahata or Heart Chakra can be:
- circulatory problems
- blood disorders (love cannot circulate)
- breast cancer
- heart disease (related to suffering associated with relationships)
- problems with the lungs , diaphragm
- suicide (the individual may feel that they do not deserve to breathe the universal force of love)
The main fears related to an unbalanced anahata are that of following one’s heart and of sentimental commitment.
Throughout life, we must evolve and develop our abilities to love and forgive , to have mercy and hope in our hearts.
The strength of this chakra lies in finding the courage to show love and compassion in all circumstances.
How to balance the Heart Chakra or Anahata
Below I show you a short list of exercises that you can put into practice to keep your chakra well balanced.
Pramanasana or salutation position :
This is the position in which you are standing and with your hands in the gesture of prayer. It takes the name of ” namaste “. This gesture represents the synthesis of opposites and the desire for peace and friendship. You can hold your arms in various positions, at your sides, raised, in front of or behind your back. The joined hands are held in front of the heart, but without touching it. You can arrange them in two ways: with your palms and fingers snug together, or with your palms and fingers shell-like and the two thumbs parallel.
Vrksasana or tree position :
Raise one foot and place it on the other leg, at the height that suits you best. You should be able to keep the bent knee in line with the straight one. If you can’t, then you better keep your foot lower. Always keep your hands in front of your heart.
Padmasana or Hidden Lotus Position :
Place your hands on the ground and rotating on your knees lying on your stomach. Touch the ground with your chin and put your hands behind your back. If you feel pain in your neck, knees or lumbar vertebrae, you need to practice preparatory positions. When the position becomes comfortable, you can use it as a relaxation and in this case the arms can be extended on the ground with the palms facing upwards.
Dhanurasana or arch position :
Lie on your stomach, take the instep with the corresponding hand and while keeping your big toes in contact, push both feet upwards. This position allows a massage of the abdominal organs and the spine. Position to be avoided absolutely in case of pregnancy or gastric reflux, or on a full stomach.
Heart Chakra Affirmation
A very effective method of replacing negative thoughts and patterns with more positive ones is that of affirmations. You can repeat them in the morning as soon as you wake up, when you feel the need and in general every time you feel it. The mind is a very powerful tool and we can use it to change the beliefs crystallized in our body.
You can take advantage of the scent of an incense that stimulates the fourth chakra as you do this.
Here are some affirmations created specifically to bring energy to the heart chakra:
- I am open to love.
- Love resides in my heart.
- I love myself deeply and completely
- I accept myself.
- I feed my inner child . I am sought after and loved.
- I live in balance, in a state of grace and gratitude.
- I love the beauty of nature.
- I forgive myself and I forgive others.
- I am grateful for all the challenges that have helped me transform and open myself to love.
- I am connected with other human beings.
- I feel a sense of oneness with all that is.
- I accept things as they are.
- I am at peace.
- I am worthy of love
- I love others and myself
- There is an endless supply of love
- I live in balance with others
- Love is my guiding truth in life, and I give and receive love effortlessly and unconditionally
- I have chosen to be united with all beings , visible and invisible, in the realm of love and light
Meditation for the Heart Chakra
To restore or maintain the energy in our heart chakra, there are many ways, ranging from the use of colors, to walks in the green to the commitment to love.
The meditations , then, are very useful and effective .
Here is one that I really like:
- Get in a comfortable position , sitting or lying on your back. Move around a bit until you feel you can stabilize.
- Watch your breathing
- Widen the collarbones, opening the space that contains the heart . You can put one hand on your heart and one on your stomach.
- As you inhale, feel your belly expand and fill your lungs with fresh air. As you exhale, feel your belly contract, empty, creating space for a new awareness .
- Imagine breathing in a large emerald light that brings with it a sweet warmth, making the entire upper body warm and welcoming.
- As you breathe, let the light and heat build up .
- Only by opening our hearts can we allow love to enter. If you have felt pain, perhaps from a broken heart, you have opened up enough to expose yourself to vulnerability. This is already a bold move. In this way, you can shine the light on those who are in need of love.
- Recall someone you love , and try to visualize their face.
- Allow love to radiate from the space of your heart and into this person (s).
- Now remember someone you have a difficult relationship with.
- Allow love to radiate from your heart to this person.
- Now recall yourself , here in this room. Bring your face very clearly in the eye of your mind.
- Use all this love, compassion and openness cultivated here – start enveloping yourself in love . Then expand this love outside of yourself , remaining enveloped in it.
Having a negatively conditioned love life will affect your daily life in a rather annoying way. You surely know that the intimate relationships of each of us are the most important thing we have and their trend in the right direction allows us to live a more peaceful life.