Solar Plexus Chakra (Manipura)
(all you need to know)
|Solar Plexus Chakra Location||located in your stomach area|
|Solar Plexus Chakra Function||power, strength, self-esteem|
|Solar Plexus Chakra Mantra||RAM|
|Solar Plexus Chakra Color||Yellow|
|Solar Plexus Chakra Element||Fire|
|Solar Plexus Chakra Ruling planet||The Sun|
|Solar Plexus Chakra Tarot cards||The Chariot, The Tower , The Sun|
|Solar Plexus Chakra Archangels||Camael and Michael|
|Solar Plexus Chakra Crystals||Citrine, goldstone, yellow calcite|
|Solar Plexus Chakra Incense/Essential oil||Lemon, ginger, black pepper, rosemary, ylang ylang, chamomile|
|Solar Plexus Chakra Animal||Ram|
|Solar Plexus Chakra Note||“E”|
|Solar Plexus Chakra Symbol||10 petals with a ram inside|
|Solar Plexus Chakra Herbs||Cinnamon and Ginger (even if they are actually a bark and a root)|
|Foods associated with Solar Plexus Chakra||Bananas, pineapples, corn, lemons, and yellow curry. |
In addition, complex carbohydrates and whole grains such as oats, brown rice, rye, spelled, legumes and fiber (vegetables and sprouts)
|Organs and body parts related to Solar Plexus Chakra||Digestive system (stomach and intestines), liver and spleen|
|Endocrine Glands related to Solar Plexus Chakra||Pituitary Gland, Pancreas|
|Solar Plexus Chakra Number of Petals||10|
Solar Plexus Chakra is known as Manipura. It is the 3rd of the 7 main chakras. The meaning of the Sanskrit word manipura is literally “brilliant gem” . Located in the area between the navel and the breastbone , the third chakra is a source of personal power and governs self-esteem , the energy of warriors and the power of transformation . The manipura chakra also controls metabolism and digestion .
When you feel confident , have strong motivation and important purpose, your third chakra is open and healthy. However, if this is not at its best, you may suffer from low self-esteem, have difficulty making decisions to experience anger problems or delusions of control.
Self-love, self-acceptance and the recognition of one’s worth are the foundations of the third chakra.
The solar plexus is the core of our personality , identity and Ego . The third chakra is the center of the will . While the sacred chakra seeks pleasure and enjoyment, the navel chakra is all related to the perception of who we are.
The gift of this chakra is to feel one’s power, to be safe, responsible and trustworthy. Manipura is the center of your self-esteem, willpower, self-discipline, and at the same time the warmth in your personality.
Its energy allows you to transform inertia into action and movement . It also allows you to face challenges and go further in life.
His biggest challenge is to use personal power in a balanced way.
What does it mean? It means consciously harnessing his blazing energy and being pro-active rather than re-active or in-active.
Those who get too carried away by this energy often find themselves in states of stress, and frequently vent their emotions in ways that are not always peaceful. On the other hand, those who have the third chakra blocked are generally passive, letting life go by without doing anything.
A healthy third chakra gives you the strength to progress through life with confidence and power . It reflects the ability to make conscious choices and to act.
Its message is this: you have the power to choose.
- Do you want to choose love, light and the healing process?
- Do you accept that you have the power to choose?
- Do you feel a sense of freedom when making a decision?
The main developmental age for this energy centre is 14-21 but the first, very clear expression of solar plexus energy is seen during the ‘terrible 2’s’ as this is the centre of our personal will. Humans don’t tend put off the expression of will until they reach 14. However, it is in our teens that we (hopefully) learn appropriate expression of will as well as appropriate use of personal power.
The solar plexus chakra which is connected to our dreams and desires, capable of governing self-esteem and the relationship with other people.
Also in this case, balance is very important, otherwise both your body and your spirit can manifest problems, such as a strong inadequacy in all situations and a decline in self-esteem, just to name a few.
Lets discover the third chakra – The Solar Plexus Chakra.
Why is Solar Plexus Chakra or Manipura important?
The balance of Solar Plexus chakra is fundamental for your body and for your spirit.
If the Manipura is not balanced the negative symptoms you may notice are different. Mentally you may feel low self-esteem, more insecurity, greater introversion and a feeling of inadequacy during everyday situations.
The problems that could afflict your body are liver problems, nausea, gastritis, ulcer and greater difficulty in digestion.
As with the other chakras, problems can appear even if the Manipura is too open . You may become arrogant, aggressive, and feel overconfident of yourself.
Driven towards a constant search for power and self-celebration. All this for the need to cover up your fears and insecurities. When you have this chakra balanced at the right level , you will be able to feel more confident, strong and very energetic. You will not be influenced by the judgments of others and you will be able to always rise to the occasion, without encountering difficulties in managing yourself.
The third chakra is definitely the element of fire . It is the fire that warms us and protects us from the cold, but which must be taken care of so that it does not go out and controlled so that it does not break out in a fire.
It can be compared to aggressive energy when you get angry, if you are hyperactive, or to the strength and wisdom of a determined person.
The energy of manipura is also linked to the digestive fire , which allows us to transform food into nourishment. To keep this chakra aligned, keep your digestive fire healthy . How to do?
Some good ways to maintain the balance of solar plexus are these:
- Quench your thirst with room temperature or slightly warmed drinks . Conversely, always try to avoid cold ones.
- Feed about twice the food in your hands to avoid overeating.
- Stay away from spicy foods if you are a Pitta dosha in Ayurveda.
- Sip water in small sips during meals , and avoid fizzy drinks, alcohol, and fruit juices. Drinking a lot while eating tends to dilute the gastric juices and, speaking metaphors, to put out the digestive fire. At the same time, alcohol tends to acidify excessively.
- Let your stomach rest between meals. Having frequent snacks and small snacks does not give your body time to “refresh” the digestive fire, which happens while the stomach is at rest.
Another interesting practice for this chakra is to stimulate digestion and increase metabolic capacity with Bhastrika breathing.
To reconcile the energy of the third chakra, you can avail yourself of the help of colors, foods, essences, activities , yoga positions , precious stones , and so on.
Solar Plexus Chakra Positive attributes:
- Balanced expression of power and emotions,
- ability to detach and laugh at self,
- joyful disposition,
- disciplined and willing to work hard,
- contributing to society in a positive way,
- success in manifesting desires,
Solar Plexus Chakra Negative attributes:
- needing to have the last word,
- feeling powerless,
- lacking drive and motivation,
- lack of confidence and discipline,
- low self-esteem,
- lack of vision (in both the physical and the spiritual sense),
- uneven energy supply throughout the day,
- feeling exhausted
- lack of vision (in both the physical and the spiritual sense),
- uneven energy supply throughout the day,
- feeling exhausted
The solar plexus chakra is a weak spot for leaking energy. People who are receptive and sensitive, for instance empaths and intuitives, are especially prone to leak energy from this chakra.
Others are then able to tap into this energy as a form of psychic vampyrism. Tools such as the tarot essence and meditating with the appropriate cards can be useful for protecting the Solar Plexus chakra.
How to Recognize Imbalances in Solar Plexus Chakra or Manipura
If you would like to better understand if your third chakra is spinning at its best or would need some work, here are some ideas.
Physical signs that your third chakra is out of alignment:
- You have trouble digesting . This can manifest as an inability to assimilate nutrients , constipation , or irritable bowel syndrome . You may also tend to accumulate excess fat on your abdomen.
- You suffer from eating disorders
- You have an ulcer
- You have diabetes or hypoglycemia
- You have problems with your pancreas , liver or colon
- You feel a constant sense of fatigue
The mental symptoms of a blocked navel chakra are:
- You feel powerless
- You have low self-esteem
- You are passive and excessively yin
- You can’t finish what you start
- You tire easily
- You have delusions of control
- You have aggressive behaviors
- You feel like a victim
- You have infinite needs
- You feel directionless
- You can’t get up and take positive action.
How to balance Solar Plexus Chakra or Manipura
Exercises to balance the Solar Plexus Chakra or Manipura .
Makarasana or crocodile posture :
Lie on your stomach and spread your legs, keep your toes out and your forehead on the back of your hands. As you inhale, the pressure of the floor causes the abdomen to expand laterally and thus practice a different abdominal breathing than usual.
Makarasana II or version of Satyananda :
To practice Makarasana, place your elbows on the ground and your chin on your hands. Or you can opt for another position, lie on your stomach and raise your head and shoulders by leaning on your elbows. The forearms must be straight and parallel, the shoulders go back and the head is well erect. Very useful for those with back problems.
Matsyasana or fish pose :
Lie on your back and point your elbows to the ground. Raise the vertebral arch by leaning on the coccyx, nape of the neck and elbows. Try lifting your elbows to bring your hands to your chest and keep your legs in the Lotus position. It stimulates circulation and tones the spine.
Gomukhasana or Cow Face Position :
Sit on your heels and keep your head erect. Bring your left arm upright and point your elbow up, bend your forearm back and try to touch the fingers of your right hand behind your back.
Cross the leg of the raised arm over the other, if by chance you can’t, you can stay on your heels or cross-legged. Repeat everything on the other side. Gomukhasana allows you to stimulate the shoulder muscles, improves posture, loosens the shoulders and opens the lungs.
Ardha Matsyendrasana or Matsyendra Pose :
Sit on the ground with your legs extended and bend your knees. Pass your right foot over your left leg and place it on the outside of your hip. Turn to the right and place your right hand behind your buttock. Now place your left arm on the outside of your right thigh. If you can, keep your legs in the lotus position. With Ardha Matsyendrasana you can tone the spine and also the digestive system.
Solar Plexus Chakra or Manipura Affirmation
A great way to strengthen or rebalance the solar plexus is to repeat positive affirmations about personal power.
By repeating affirmations, aloud, in our head or writing them, we help reverse negative thought patterns and replace them with constructive ones. Try changing old ways of thinking by repeating statements like:
- I am powerful and use my power with kindness.
- As I take on new challenges, I feel calm, confident and in my full power.
- I feel motivated to pursue my purpose.
- I am ambitious and capable.
- I forgive myself for the mistakes of the past and I learn from them.
- Release the need to check
- The only thing I have to learn to control is the way I react to situations (for the rest, I can also accept what is without feeling bad)
- I have the courage to create positive change in my life.
- I am at the height of my personal power.
- I love and accept myself unconditionally.
- I know how to defend myself .
- I am strong and brave.
- I am worthy of love , kindness and respect.
- I choose the best for myself.
- I speak with confidence.
- I am proud of my achievements.
- I am honored.
- I choose healthy relationships.
- I am authentic
- I run my life.
- I appreciate my strengths .
- I feel my power.
- I am free to choose in any situation.
- I am looking for opportunities for personal and spiritual growth.
- I am at peace with myself.
- I give myself permission to be my true self
- I use my power for good
- I accept my power
- I am worthy and able to make my dreams come true
- I choose inner peace and satisfaction every day
- I have a lot to offer the world
- I am worthy of the life I say I want
- I am confident in the universe to see me through
- Everything I need, I have it inside
Meditation for the Solar Plexus
The solar plexus can greatly benefit from various practices , such as lighting and feeding a fire with natural materials, observing the swinging flame of a candle , dancing, making decisions in your life and taking on your responsibilities.
Meditation is always a very useful way to rebalance the chakras , and, in addition to helping you in this regard, it can also give you inspiration and awareness to reconnect with your higher self . Generally, meditations that focus on the chakras always work on visualization , which allows you to better feel the areas where you imagine you are carrying the energy. However, there are many methods to use meditation .
Here are some of them.
Activate the Third Chakra with Bhastrika Breathing
Since the third chakra governs both digestion and metabolism, you can easily wake up both with breathing exercises. The wide range of pranayama techniques comes to our aid once again , and by controlling the breath we can improve our life.
Make sure your stomach isn’t full before starting this breathing cycle.
- Sit comfortably in a lotus or cross-legged position, with a straight spine and relaxed shoulders .
- You can use a meditation cushion to be more comfortable, and a yoga mat under your feet to protect yourself from the hardness or cold of the floor.
- Start by taking a few deep breaths through your nose , keeping your lips closed.
- Then, inhale deeply through the nose as the lower abdomen inflates, and exhale forcefully through the nose as you press in the abdomen towards the spine .
- Use half the count to inhale and half the count to exhale at a rapid pace. You will feel like you are doing abs exercises.
- Try starting with 10 reps and then gradually work your way up to 15 or 20.
- After you’re done, you may feel a tingling or light sensation around your navel.
- Sit quietly and watch the changes in your body and the way you breathe.
Meditation for balancing Solar Plexus Chakra or Manipura
If you would like to try a meditation more related to the situations that arise in your life, here is one. Regardless of the type of dominant dosha you have, you can harness the power of Manipura to assert your will in a healthy way and achieve whatever goal you have set for yourself.
If you find that you are stuck with a decision or are at a crossroads and are not sure which path to take , seek guidance through a visceral feeling in your solar plexus (a bit like saying the “gut feeling”), by doing as follows:
- Close your eyes, and place your left hand on the area slightly above the navel.
- Bring the problem or dilemma to mind .
- Notice how your third chakra feels when you offer it choices regarding the topic you are struggling with.
- A feeling of shipwreck or nausea can tell you the decision is wrong.
- If you present your solar plexus with the “right” choice, you may feel lightness in the area or you may even feel like you can breathe easier.
This can be an interesting way not just to make decisions, but at least to help you better understand what you really want at a given moment. After all, we cannot control what is external to us, but we can act in order to bring about improvements in our existence.
After explaining all the features and exercises you can use to rebalance this chakra , I’m sure you fully understand its importance.
Keeping it in balance is essential above all because this chakra represents the union of the first two, but also for the possible physical and mental discomfort you may have.